CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 8, 2016

Valentine's Day Through The Years


Ladies and Gentleman. Females and Males. Sons and Daughters... it is that month of the year! The month that makes men sweat as they try to figure out how to please their missus. The month a man spends his entire salary on just to make that perfect date. The month containing that infamous date, the cruel and notorious.. February 14th, aka... Valentine's Day! *Shudders* [Insert sharp thriller killing scene soundtrack of your choice here].

Yes, February is the month of love and I remember back in the days when I loathed Valentine's Day and this was largely due to the fact that I was mostly alone and boyfriend-less and standing in hotel corners hissing at happy couples as they pass by. Ok, fine I didn't hiss at them... I scowled at them. It displeased me greatly to see the tall, leggy women prancing around with their boyfriends laden with ruby red roses. But now, I became one of those ladies... well I'm still working on the leggy part but you get the picture. 

Before my college years, Valentine's Day was pretty shitty for me. Being that girl with the gap in her teeth, no one wanted to date me. In our school, we had this secret admirer bullshit in which if you had a crush on someone in your school, you could send them secret chocolates, cards or whatever sweet item and it will be delivered to them instantly by the "cupids". Here, you could either go bold and reveal your name on the tag or be mysterious and keep your crush guessing while building up their self esteem that someone actually like likes them. Well unfortunately (actually, fortunately for me because none of the boys were my type during Valentine's Day), I received no such thing. SO Valentine's Day did suck for me in high school. 

Fast forward to my college years when Valentine's Day was slightly bearable because I wasn't the only one without a boyfriend or a crush to receive heart shaped gifts from. I had a score of friends who were my army of non-Valentines and we gloriously showed St Valentine the middle finger.... until the next year when I landed myself a boyfriend. Those girls were dead to me as soon as I bagged myself a mister. I know, I know, sisters before misters but screw that, I had someone who could give me roses and a nice dinner and gifts. The problem was that we started dating after Valentine's Day and have broken up before the next one, so dammit, there went my chance. 

Few years after that I was on an anti-men campaign and refused to date, mate or relate with any man until I was thirty. I frequented bars with my close friend, and we had more fun focusing on ourselves than being concerned with happy couples and roses. During those years, Valentines Day was a myth for me and all this love that was spread around and apparent in the faces of the youth at the malls was an illusion. Nothing could make me like Valentine's Day ever again... well until now. Now that I have met the guy of my dreams, my concept and expectations of Valentine's Day have shifted. From fancy dinners, expensive gifts and whatever materialistic romantic crap they showed in the movies to just having the person by your side watching a pirated movie and eating chips off our chests constitutes the perfect Valentine's to me.

I have ceased to be the Ebenezer Scrooge of Valentine's Day and have become more accepting of it. Admittedly, all I ever wanted- despite the shows of hatred and dislike for the day- was to have a memorable Valentine's Day with the right guy by my side. Luckily for me, that will be true in every sense of the way in a  few days. I hope this post inspires you to take the initiative to actually enjoy Valentine's Day this year and the coming years too. Anything you'd like to share about Valentine's Day in general or your personal experience with Valentine's Day? Hit me up in the feedback form below and Hopefully I can get the 3 best ones into my next post. 


0 voice outs: